Friday 2 March 2012

Altered Jigsaw for Elizabeth

I got a message from Elizabeth that my parcel had arrived so I can now show the altered jigsaw that she will find inside with a few other bits and pieces.
Elizabeth and I did a swap of a child's jigsaw early last year... she completed and returned hers to me and I love it to bits... but I got busy with other things and when I went to find mine to alter for her, the jiggie had gone... I know not where and will probably find it when I am least expecting to!!  All I could do was go to the dollar store and pick up another one... but anyone that shops in the dollar store knows that once stuff has gone... it has gone and it seldom gets restocked.  This seemed to be the case with the version we had swapped so I had to pick up a different one...
Quite a classy little number I picked up eh?  LOL I was going to regret the glitter on a lot of those pieces further down the line... so I sanded the entire thing to remove the glitter and give my papers a good surface to play with.
Then I turned it over and numbered and gave a direction arrow to each piece... if you have ever altered a jigsaw you will know that this step is vital or you end up with upside down images on the finished project.
Then I just had fun and set to on each piece... the joy of doing a complete jigsaw for one person is that you can give it a theme of sorts and a colour base.  I added the union jack to represent my being English in this very important Jubilee year, references to time, a fav subject of both Elizabeth and myself, lots of steampunk type bits, my love of dress forms, maps of places I have lived and I even added a brass cat to represent the lovely Bleubeard and my two furbabies. I had lots of fun with this and I really hope that Elizabeth likes it too.

15 comments:

  1. I love this Annette, you've made a fantastic job of it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my that is absolutely gorgeous Annette - I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I like it - I have never altered a jigsaw - the odd large jigsaw piece - but this looks a fab thing to do... it's going on the list!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your altered jigsaw is FABULOUS!!!! I love the splashes of red here and there, really brings it all together.

    I love altering jigsaw pieces too, although haven't done any for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So beautiful, I wouldn't know where to begin - or where to put such a lovely work of art when it was finished.
    OH, do you want some pringles tubes to alter? I have several and a box to send them in too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And to think I am the LUCKY recipient of this piece. In fact, I am in the process of off loading my photos right now. I'm so glad you posted the lovely puzzle. I was quite amazed, because I thought yours was SO much nicer than the one I made you. Even the frame seemed more solid and better. I couldn't understand why until I read that you had gotten a different puzzle. Not sure if it's just my imagination or not, but I really, really like what you did with yours and how sturdy it seemed. Thank you again. Mine will be up Saturday AM.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wowzer, that is fab Annette - I love the complete image that it creates.

    Toni xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cool Annette. I love everything about it. *Ü* I must admit that I expected you might have gone for the Graphic45 DT call this year after your fab creation. You would do great. TFS. ~Glen~

    ReplyDelete
  9. O my word!!! Love this project, Fabulous, Love it, Hugs May x x x

    ReplyDelete
  10. i got to Elizabeth's blog before i got to yours, and got to see this piece from 2 perspectives. the 'receiver' and the 'sender'. what a kool idea.

    Question: when you finished altering the puzzle, did you attach it to something so it can hang? can't tell from the photos. wanted to say it turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I came over from Elizabeth's blog to have another look at this awesome altered puzzle! It is so thoughtfully done and so well done! I remember seeing the one she made you in a past post of hers--it was beautiful, too! I have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. visiting from Elizabeth's blog - and just have to add my 2 cents. What a great idea as a base to alter! Yours is SO well done and I can see Elizabeth all over it. My sister is an avid jigsaw puzzler and now I know what to make her for her birthday in April. Thanks for the numbering tip!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous! (and so much prettier than the original :D )

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comment, it is truly appreciated - sort of confirms that it is more than my Mum and husband that read this thing! :)